Today, the Council of the District of Columbia announced the Swearing-In Ceremonies for public officials will be held Monday, January 2, 2023, beginning at 9:30AM in Ballrooms A & B at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mt. Vernon Place, NW, Washington, DC 20001. The Swearing-In Ceremonies are FREE and open to the public. Tickets are not required.
The Masters of Ceremonies will be Kojo Nnamdi and Tom Sherwood of WAMU’s The Politics Hour. The event will air live on Channels 13 and 16.
The Swearing-In Ceremony for the Mayor, Chairman, Members of the Council of the District of Columbia and Attorney General will take place from 9:30AMto 12:30PM, with the Mayor’s oath to be administered shortly before noon (as required by the Home Rule Act).
- The Honorable Brian L. Schwalb will be sworn into office by the Honorable Robert L. Wilkins, United States District Judge on the United States Court of Appeals
- The Honorable Brianne K. Nadeau (Ward 1) will be sworn into office by the Honorable Julie R. Breslow, Magistrate Judge on the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- The Honorable Matthew Frumin (Ward 3) will be sworn into office by the Honorable Russell F. Canan, Associate Judge on the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- The Honorable Zachary Parker (Ward 5) will be sworn into office by the Honorable Anna Blackburne-Rigsby, Chief Judge on the District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- The Honorable Charles Allen(Ward 6) will be sworn into office by the Honorable Nicole Opkins, Administrative Law Judge of the District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings
- The Honorable Kenyan McDuffie(At-Large) will be sworn into office by the Honorable Erik P. Christian, Associate Judge on the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- The Honorable Anita Bonds (At-Large) will be sworn into office by the Honorable John P. Howard III, Associate Judge on the District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Council Chairman Phil Mendelson will be sworn into office by the Honorable Anita Josey-Herring, Chief Judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Mayor Muriel Bowser will be sworn into office by the Honorable Anna Blackburne-Rigsby, Chief Judge of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals
The Swearing-In Ceremony for State Board of Education Members, Statehood Delegation and Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners (ANCs) will take place from 2PM to 4:30PM. The State Board of Education members to be sworn into office are Ben Williams (Ward 1), Eric Goulet (Ward 3), Robert Henderson (Ward 5) and Brandon Best (Ward 6). Student Representatives of State Board of Education<, Liv Birnstad, China Jones-Burgess, Anthony Wages, and Téa Washington, will be acknowledged.
The Honorable Oye Owolewa, Shadow United States Representative, will be sworn into office by Ward One Councilmember Brianne K. Nadeau.
The oath of office for the newly elected and re-elected ANCs (Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners) will be administered by Councilmembers.
GENERAL PUBLIC INFORMATION
There are a number of parking lots and garages near the Convention Center.
Guests are encouraged to take Metro. The closest station is the Mt. Vernon Square/7th Street/Convention Center Station.
ENTRANCE TO CONVENTION CENTER
Guests can use four entrances into the Convention Center which are completely ADA compliant with elevators. VIPs will be greeted and seated for the Swearing-In Ceremony.
For more information about the Swearing-In Ceremonies, please contact Josh Gibson at email@example.com or (202) 549-7892.